Sunday, March 4, 2012

they saved my life

So this past week I've been reading a book about paramedics and cases that the paramedics have been on. The book is called "A Paramedic's Story Life, Death, and Everything in Between" and I think I enjoy this book so much because I am able to relate to a paramedic from the way that two saved my life when I was diagnosed with diabetes. If it hadn't been for the two men in the ambulance I wouldn't be here today.

In the novel Steven, the author, known as "Kelly" tells his story of being a paramedic. There are forty different calls that he describes each in detail. In one of the calls he tells the story of an ostrich attack, which is one of the most unique stories in the book in my opinion. There was an old couple in a pasture of their farm out to feed their pet ostrich; one never knows how an animal will react to people being near. The ostrich began to attack the old man and woman, luckily the old woman got away but her husband was not so lucky. The old man attempted to fight him off with his cane but the ostrich attacked him, the man was soon dead.  There was a gaping wound in his back, one of his ears was torn off, and there was a gash from his neck to his collar bone. The bird tried to attack the police so they shot him. One officer tried to shoot him and he barely flinched and attempted to charge. The grandchildren were there but were luckily tucked inside the house safe and sound.  "Kelly" goes into great detail about the medical components of the man and women after the attack had taken place as he did in his entire novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment