Monday, January 9, 2012

Literacy Narrative

When I was younger, in elementary school, my family never had a lot, that wasn't a big deal though because we had books. We would go to the library every weekend and we would get piles of books. Getting lost in a book was an escape from reality for me. I would do it every waking minute possible. We didn't have a television, not because we didn't have the money but because my mom didn't want our minds brainwashed as she told my sibblings and I several times. In middle school my school took part in a program titled Accelerated Reading, called AR for short, where each student had an account and had to take tests to earn points towards their goal. AR kept me reading as each student would typically have to read three or four books a quarter. Once I moved on to high school though everything about my reading habbits changed. I found myself coming up with excuses for not reading. Each night I would tell myself I had mock trial practice for three hours and just needed to sleep. I know that there are a ton of books out there that I wish to read and that the habbit has just gotten away from me. I hope that this class helps get back into the habbit of reading every night.
I usually find myself reading books about murders or children who have gone through hard times or have been abused. I think reading these kind of books open up the world that is not so easily seen to the average day human being. When I'm engaged in a book of a murder of a small child it makes me stop to think what if that was one of my family members? What would I do?
Throughout my life whenever times are hard I know that I can always open a book and find a character going through a harder time or I can open a book to bring me happiness through a character. Books have been there for the majority of my life and I hope to bring them back into my life.

1 comment:

  1. I know what it's like to be surrounded by books and then, all of a sudden, they seem to disappear. The time disappears also. So I hope, for the both of us, we can get back on track and read more and fill our lives with reading once again :)

    ReplyDelete