Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Along for the Ride


This week I asked one of my friends for a book to read. She asked me if I liked Sarah Dessen and well yeah I do. So she told me to read Along for the Ride. I don't remember the last time I've been so engaged in a book! The novel tells the story of a girl who goes to live with her dad and step mom for the summer. There is a catch to that though, her step mom just had a baby and refuses to get any help caring for the wailing infant. Auden's parents got divorced years ago after they had been fighting most nights to the point where Auden was always awake at night listening to the constant bickering of the two. As she stays with her dad for the summer she can not help but feel like she is in the same kind of environment once again. Auden's dad is not the most helpful when it comes to caring for the baby, he claims that he has work to do although he does not have actual work to do during the summer. Her dads sits in his office each day for the majority of the day working on a book that he is writing. He claims it will become a big hit and end up helping care for his wife and newborn infant. This is the same thing that happened when Auden was a child herself underlining the fact that people never change, something that Auden's mother has been trying to teach her.

I like this book a lot because it reminds me of my own life. Living with my mom during the school year and spending the summer with my dad and step mom can be fun and a drooling experience just as Auden faced.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not technically supposed to be commenting on reading logs, but this one caught my eye. Oops. I read this book too, and I love your description and connection. This book really is engaging and exciting from beginning to end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Along for the ride is actually my favorite Sarah Dessen Book, so I am really happy you are in enjoying it and I can't wait to read more of your reading log.

    ReplyDelete