Thursday, February 9, 2012

Define Normal


I was looking for a book to read and I just could not find anything that I thought would be interesting to read. I think I'll start making a list of books that I would like to read, I always see so many that I want to read but I forget the name of the book or I just never know what book I want to start with. Anyway, I've read all of the books I have in my room so I asked my step sister if she had anything she thought I would like. She went to look in her room and came out with a pile of books. All of the books she came out with were bright and happy looking except one, "Define Normal." The book had a black cover and the summary on the back of the book was not very captivating but I had nothing better to read so I just got started.

“Define Normal” is about two teenaged girls in middle school who have completely different lives. From Antonia, a straight “A” student to Jazz a student with tattoos and piercings the two find themselves as peer counselors. Although both girls have their own problems they are different in many ways but alike in the way that both girls have some problems with their mothers. Antonia not having as great of a house as Jazz emphasizes that just because one has a good house doesn’t mean that one would be defined as “normal.”

This novel illuminates that there is no normal for everyone. Each family has a different normal, each person has a different normal and that there is no way to stop one from changing. “Define Normal” is a great book for younger girls to read when they are going through hard times and think that they are the “odd one out,” because it defines normal as there not being a normal at all.

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds really interesting because it redefines and goes against the stereotypes of middle and high school. sounds pretty cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the longest time, I have stood by that the adage that normal does not exist. It is simply a genius, completely fictional marketing tool that society has created to make people feel better or worse about themselves and thus by products to fix their problems. Glad to see that this is in some way solidified by other people.

    ReplyDelete